Friday, June 4, 2010

Pot Roast and Memorial Day

Last week's new recipe (I'm down to one month left!!) was Pot Roast out of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. I've got a link in another older post. I use a LOT of the same cook books, maybe it's my way of going through the best of them before moving onto another. I check others sometimes but seem to always end back at the few I always use.

Memorial Day weekend I planned on cooking this Pot Roast on Sunday. For dinner, we ended up going to a cook out at our neighbor's house, so the Pot Roast waited overnight in the fridge, ready to reheat and eat on Monday. I only wish I would have made more...it was goooood.

I made it in the crock pot and it's SO easy. The recipe calls for..1 lb carrots peeled and cut into 2 in. pieces.




Next, we need 2 stalks celery, bias-sliced into 1in pieces. I'm not exactly sure how they mean bias-sliced...so I cut them kind of diagonal, that was my interpretation. 


I didn't have 2 small onions cut into wedges, but I did have one...so I cut it into smaller than usual wedges to spread the flavor out.

 Then I used a few medium potatoes for 12 oz tiny new potatoes or 2 medium potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Then I gathered my spices: 1tsp instant beef bouillon granules, 1tsp dried basil, 1/4 tsp salt. We only had bouillon cubes and it looked about like two made 1tsp...I'm used to being exact with everything but it probably doesn't really matter here, I'm learning to let it go a little.

Next I combined 3/4 C. water, 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce and the spices.



I trimmed some of the fat from the meat. I secretly believe that leaving some on there is good for the flavor. I don't know that this is true...but it makes things somewhat easier for me anyway, though maybe not healthier.

We're looking for 1 2.5-3 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast


The beef goes on the top of the veggies, and then sauce/spice mixture gets poured over that.



I cooked it on high for about 5 hours. Anywhere from 5-6 is good.

This is where we got distracted and decided to change our dinner plans.

Aidan LOVES the neighbor's petal tractor.


He also loved the pool...he's already got his own now.

He was a little tired by the time we left. Usually he loves his car.

When we finally DID eat the pot roast on Monday it was delicious if I say so myself. I kind of lost the fuel to keep up the photojournaling. I made mashed potatoes (real ones) and that took a lot out of me. By the time I was done I was way beyond ready to eat.

Next time, I'll try to finish the photography I start.

No comments:

Post a Comment