Saturday, June 19, 2010

Packin' Up

I've spent the last few days getting ready for our camping trip on Monday. I've also spent them coming up with more thoughts that lead me to this: WHAT am I thinking? So much can go wrong. But I'm also very excited and looking forward to it.

This will be my first time camping on my own, in charge. I've been so often that I should know how to do everything with my hands tied behind my back, but I haven't had a chance to put that to the test...and we'll be 2.5 hours away from home. WHY didn't I plan a closer, shorter trip before this big four-night one?

I'm in charge of packing the clothes, the towels, the toiletries, the camping gear (with dad's help packing, but I have to make the final call on what we want), the kitchen, the food, etc....

I've CRAZILY decided to make some cookies for our trip too. I would do it if I weren't in charge of everything else, so why not add that to the mix? Apparently my home-made granola bars are better than the ones from the store? So I'm supposed to figure out how to make those, too. Though *someone* took my notebook that I wrote my recipe in a while ago and it's no longer here, so I have to get that back first, because I really don't remember what or how much of anything I put in them the last time and I don't have the time or patience to experiment right now. I'll probably blog about that recipe one of these days too, it'll be my first original one!!

I'm using the sugar cookies recipe that I posted back in February. It really is easy to make. I couldn't find any vanilla extract though, we'll see if they taste any good without it. Oops. I'll get some for the icing when I pick up all our food for the week tomorrow. The icing will certainly need some I imagine.

Charging the cameras and tying up lose ends...

The thing I hate the most about packing, and packing early is not being able to pack some things until the last minute. Like my glasses, my phone charger, my dirty laundry. Oops, yeah, I have laundry to do, too!!

I'd like to have something new to listen to on our incredibly long trip. Ok that's a complete exaggeration, but with a 1 and 9 year old it may feel like it at times. WHAT am I thinking?

One of the biggest, yet most trivial drawbacks I see in the car we're taking-I can't use my iPod. The radio is equipped, I'm sure, but it involves the back of the radio and a special jack/cable that we don't have and I've always been too lazy to take the dash apart to fix this situation. So I have to go back to using those dinosaur Recordable Compact Disks to make my new playlists heard on our trip.

We'll be listening to Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertains. At least as long as no one else complains too much. They might not have my *taste* in music. Too bad I'm drivin'.

So I'm off to pack some more, make some more lists, cross some stuff off, and hopefully finish some of this before Monday morning rolls around. Check-in is at 3pm, I don't want to be late. Aidan might have different plans.

Oh YEAH and tomorrow is Father's Day. WHAT am I going to do for that?

Some of my more recent thoughts:

WHAT was I thinking?
What if Aidan wakes up all night and makes the other campers angry?
What if Aidan doesn't nap well and is grumpy the whole time?
What if Captain D is homesick? (The 9 year old)
What if Captain D is too scared to sleep in the tent?
What if Captain D is bored and wants to go home?
What if I lose my mind and have a moment of fugue and just take off leaving them in the wilderness from the stress? (ok totally unlikely, but I might feel like it if things go horribly wrong)
What if we forget something really important, that we can't just go get at the store?
What if Aidan has a delayed reaction to his vaccines from last week?
What about TICKS??!! I read an article in Parents magazine about ticks and I was already kind of paranoid about them, now...well, it's worse. Oh well, what can you do?
There are about a million other thoughts that are occurring to me now. I'll just have to hope for the best and plan for what I can. 


The bottom line:


WHAT was I thinking?!

I'm sure it will all work out and even if it doesn't my philosophy is it will make a good story. Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment