Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gummi Worms

How awesome is this? I found a recipe for Gummi Worms. Boredom Blasters by Helaine Becker is an interesting book for kids. It's got jokes, games, projects, crafts, and crazy kid candy recipes. It's more meant for kids to read and ask for help when needed, but I found a couple of recipes worth trying.

The Gummi Worms didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. I should have used jumbo straws as the recipe suggests, but all we had were regular. Mine turned out kind of watery as a result.

First I measured some apple juice, instead of 1+2/3 C grape juice. Then I brought it to boiling. 



I did the same with some blueberry pomegranate juice, instead of  1+2/3 C fruit punch. These substitutions were simply because that's what we had on hand, not particularly for flavor. The pomegranate ones were kind of sour. That's ok, but I would have preferred the listed juices.



As I did this, Aidan explored the shelves of the kitchen (carefully). Since we don't let him eat tortilla chips he decided to have a go at them inside the bag. He likes the crunch.

Then I cut my straws in half. We're supposed to have 24 jumbo drinking straws, cut in half.


We need 2 packets unflavored gelatin, 1 Tbs each.

Pour those into a pan. I used these because they were the smallest, closest pans we had.

Next, I poured the boiling juice in...



Some mixing is necessary to get the gelatin even and not clumpy in the juice.

Then I put my straws in...I tried to get all the bubbles out as I could.


Then I put the gelatin in the 'fridge overnight.
They firmed up pretty well, but I decided to let the apple ones chill longer. I began picking them out of the pan, they kind of shlurp out of the pan.



I tried to use a rolling pin to push them out as suggested, but I found it was easier to just pinch the straw and squeeze them out.



This is where it became apparent how unstable they were. I think if I had bigger straws, they would have come out better.

I had some groups of  unused gelatin so I decided to get out my mini cookie cutters and make the best of it. I LOVE my mini cookie cutters, they're so cute. I know I'm going to be collecting more. They're also good for cutting shapes out of sliced cheese. I can't wait to have a little kid to be excited about this stuff...Aidan's on the brink.
The final verdict: today, I'm thinking that buying gummi worms is the better way to go. However, if you've got a kid to entertain and want to make some memories...this is a fun idea. You'll need a patient kid or perhaps do the old TV kitchen trick and make a second batch the day before and magically surprise your audience with your already prepared, set gelatin.

Update: I actually let the apple ones chill for a few days longer and they came out MUCH firmer and overall better. Still not factory-made, filled with preservatives hard, but much easier to work with!

No comments:

Post a Comment