Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kirkbride Gravesites

I have been touring Washington County to visit my ancestors who once lived there. Many were born and raised there. I'll try to keep this as organized as I can, and go by generations in order.

My great-grandparents are buried at Eastlawn Cemetery in Marietta, Ohio. Perley Kirkbride (11 Nov 1887-10 May 1969) and Charlotte Hillary Scherrer (18 Feb 1909-7 June 1998).

 The family has few photos that I know of of Perley, but this is one of them. The photo says March 1961, but because there are presents under that Christmas tree I would hazard a guess it was taken in December 1960...but I don't know that at all.

Charlotte, in May 1976.

This is their home on Washington Street. According to their death records it was Perley's last residence and also that of his father, Nathan, so I'm thinking he inherited his dad's house. I wonder how many generations grew up here...I know my grandfather did.

Charlotte's parents were James William Scherrer (15 Feb 1865-6 Aug 1939) and Charlott Hill (19 Sept 1864-18 Feb 1909). James' death certificate lists his cause of death as cancer of the bladder and prostate. Charlott died after giving birth to their daughter; her cause of death reads Syncope due to Parturition. The two of them are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Marietta, Ohio along with their son Harry who died at about 19 years old and I believe their daughter, Bonnie.





Charlott Hill's parents are supposedly buried in Mound Cemetery in Marietta, Ohio but I haven't found their stone yet--if it's legible or even there. I don't even know for a fact if they are in Mound cemetery. Their names, though, are Silas R Hill (8 Apr 1814-10 Sept 1873) and Julia Ann Geren (15 Sept 1822-27 Sept 1908). I have names beyond that, but not many details for the Hills and Gerens. So, back to the Kirkbrides...


Perley's father's name was Nathan Kirkbride (22 Apr 1856-29 Nov 1940) and his mother was Mary Melissa Smith (7 Sept 1853-30 July 1926). I believe they were both born in Washington County as well. They are both buried in Eastlawn Cemetery, next to Perley and Charlotte


Nathan's cause of death is listed as carcinoma of the stomach, and Mary's was a cerebral hemorrhage. I have Mary's parents as Eli Smith and Melissa Cohn. My trail ends there for her ancestors. Again..back to the Kirkbrides...

William Kirkbride (22 Jun 1835-24 Mar 1910) and Weltha Decker (31 Jan 1837-17 Jan 1917) were the parents of Nathan. I have another post with their photos and more on them. They are buried in Findlay, Ohio but I haven't gotten there yet...I'll post photos when I do.

Weltha's parents were Levi Elston Decker (7 Feb 1811-22 Aug 1893) and Grace Ferguson (9 May 1816-25 Aug 1896). The two of them are said to have had 13 children. They are buried in Decker/Bowersock Cemetery in Independence Township, Washington County. They are buried next to two of their infants. I found a great article on Levi and the family here.




All I know of Levi's parents is that his dad's name might be Elisha and he came from New Jersey.

Grace's parents were Thomas Ferguson (b. 1765 Virginia, d. 1839 Newport, Ohio) and Grace Holdren (b. 1786 Pennsylvania, d. 1847 Newport, Ohio). They are buried in Newport Cemetery in the yard of Newport Methodist Church. They are with three of their children, Grace's parents (Joseph Holdren (b. 1757 d. 1807) and Grace Coleman (b. 1749 d. 1842)), and Thomas' father (James b. 1750).


So, that's that for the Decker line PSHEW. Back, again, to the Kirkbrides, we last saw William. His parents were...

Nathan Kirkbride (b. 1793 d. 1863) and Sarah Ann Farely (b. 1793 d. 1888). Nathan is buried at Lawrence Baptist Church Cemetery in Independence Township, Ohio. It looks like he and his family were the first ones buried here. The stones are very hard to read. I had to trace them with my hands to decide what they said.

Nathan's stone isn't broken, but it has fallen down. I think the engraving on the top is a flower. There are two that match next to it.
I believe this says Charles, son of N & S.A. Kirkbride. I'm really not sure.
I'm not sure about this one, but it does say Kirkbride.

I have a lot more generations with the Kirkbrides, back to the 1100s. One of them is supposedly buried at Windsor Castle.

I hope you've enjoyed my search here. It's far from over. If there is anything you're interested in that I didn't include I may have information on it--just let me know!

The other sides of the family are on the way.

1 comment:

  1. I KNOW THE BURIAL OF LOTTIE HILL'S PARENTS IN GROVE CEMT. MARIETTA
    johnboyle417@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete