Saturday, July 17, 2010

Great New Resource

I have been finding so much in my ancestry search. It's amazing what's out there on the internet. If you want to get started with your family, you can create a free account at ancestry.com to keep track of your family tree. From there you can see some documents (1880 census and older I believe) and use message boards to search other's information they've been searching for, too. I can only imagine how amazing a full account would be, I'm just trying to do as much as I can for free first before I start considering purchasing the full membership.

I have been using familysearch.org to search things for a while now, but I just found a section of their site that is a "pilot". It allows you to search records, and with some of them you can view the records themselves. It's amazing. You can find it here.

This is a screen shot of the death certificate of  my "great grand aunt", if you will, Zephyr Marshall, found on their record search.

I've found so many different "leads" for things to look into. I have a spreadsheet I've started to try to keep track of who is buried where for my cemetery search. I've also started using a notebook to jot down ideas because it's impossible to keep track of them without something. These death records often list their last residence, so potentially, if the building is still there, I could also go visit where they once lived, at least to see it.

The census records are also quite interesting, particularly the one from 1900. It has a lot of info compared to the older ones. I found a great-great-great-grandmother of mine who could read, but couldn't write, Jane Parsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment