Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cutshaw Gravesites

Again in Washington County, I've also visited the Cutshaw 1/4 of my family. My great-grandparents are Elmo Cutshaw (19 Mar 1916- Sept 1968) and Dorothy Huck (14 Sept 1919-27 June 1997). I remember their house and a lot about my grandmother, considering I was young when she passed. The two of them are buried in New St. Mary's Cemetery in Marietta, Ohio. Elmo has a World War II marker and flag.

An older photo of Elmo with his mother and sisters.
Here's a more recent photo of Dorothy, I believe this was taken in her kitchen.

Elmo's parents are Ernest Cutshaw (1890-1968) and Mary Lois (Mae) Johnson (10 Feb 1891-13 June 1976). Mae died in Michigan and Ernest died in Ohio. They are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Marietta, Ohio.

This is a photo of Grandma Mae and I believe her great-grandchildren, my parent's generation.

Edit October 6, 2020: The little boy is definitely Robert Arthur Kirkbride, my mom’s brother. I believe the older girl is my mom’s sister and the baby to be my mother. Uncle Bob passed away December 18, 2011 at the age of 49 due to a heart attack.

Ernest's parents are buried a bit higher on the hill in Oak Grove, Cell (30 Mar 1854-19 Dec 1921) Cutshaw and Sabra Robinson (19 Jan 1859-27 Jan 1928). Cell's death certificate says his full name was Marcellus. His cause of death was Diabetes, he is listed as a common laborer. His father's name was Conrad (b. 1816 Maryland) and Margaret Glasgow (b. 1815 Virginia d. 22 Sept 1878 Ohio).

Sabra's death certificate lists her cause of death as a cerebral hemorrhage. Her parents were Thomas Rightson Robinson (5 Oct 1815-15 Dec 1889) and Patience Lavinia Martin (24 Feb 1824-25 Dec 1901).

So, now we return a generations to Mae Johnson. Her parents were William Johnson (12 Aug 1864-16 Feb 1943) and Jennie Parsons (Aug 1865-7 Nov 1944). They are buried in Harmar Cemetery, Marietta, Ohio. William has a World War I marker and flag. His death certificate says he was a building engineer. He died of a cerebral hemorrhage. His parents were Charles Johnson (b. Pennsylvania/Ohio) and Anna McCarmick (b. Ireland).

So now, back again to the first generation listed, Dorothy Huck's parents were Theodore Louis Huck (20 Aug 1889-27 June 1947) and Carrie Haun (b. 1890, Ohio d. 6 Oct 1946, Lowell, Ohio). I think it's interesting that their address, since it's rural, is listed as 2 miles west of Lowell. Theodore's death certificate says he died of a coronary occlusion (I think--it's hard to read) and that he has Diabetes. Carrie's cause is cerebral hemorrhage and that she had hypertensive heart disease. Her parents were Allison Haun (b. Aug 1856) and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Goff (Aug 1856-1 Jul 1921).

Theodore and Caroline are buried in Our Lady of Mercy cemetery, Lowell, Ohio.
Theodore's parents were Joseph Huck (23 May 1861-28 Apr 1922) and Anna Catherine Lang (7 May 1864-21 Dec 1939). They are also buried in Our Lady of Mercy.


They appear to be the first ones buried here.

Their parents are both buried in Ava Maria Cemetery. We went there next from the church and it was a bit of an adventure. We were on a gravel road that was twisty and turny and about one lane. Ava Maria is on a hill, secluded to itself. Joseph's parents were Theodore Huck (9 Nov 1822-25 Dec 1907) and Barnardin Rouch (23 Apr 1831-29 Dec 1897). They were both born in Germany. They're buried in the top corner of the hill.




Anna's parents were Louis Ludiwg Lang (22 Nov 1833-14 May 1917) and Mary Frances Kern (24 May 1844-9 Feb 1920). Louis was born in Germany, too.

Mary's parents were Johann Kern (b. 23 May 1816, Germany d.18 Nov 1903, Lowell, Ohio)  and Elisabeth Straswinder (b. 24 Jun 1816, Germany d. 10 Feb 1887, Lowell, Ohio).



I find it really interesting that their stone was written in German. I wonder if they spoke any English while they were here. While exploring the family's old stomping grounds we passed Lang Farm Road and Huck Road. We were significant, that's for sure. I think our family was one of the first ones to settle in Lowell, but I could be slightly off on that one.

There is something very moving about being in an area that you know many generations of your family have lived in...it kind of brings you closer to them even if you never knew much about them.




3 comments:

  1. This was awesome to read about. Ernest Cutshaw and Dorothy Huck are my grand father, William Cutshaws' parents. I am Kathleen Cutshaw. I have never meet anyone on my grandfather's side of the family, so this was extremely amazing to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, cousins! I had a reply written and mobile switched my accounts, then I realized I deleted a photo in the post, then it was chaos. So...I'll try again. :)

      Welcome! I am sorry to hear of uncle Bill's passing. My grandma Dorothy is his sister.
      The Cutshaw family is quite large, especially down in Washington County, Ohio. I'm in central Ohio, about 2 hours northwest of there.
      I only know a few of the family well enough to say "hi" if I saw them out and about, but any time I've been to an event with Cutshaw family there it's always been a good, welcoming time! I believe the Huck family still has reunions but I haven't been since around the time Grandma Cutshaw passed, when I was 7.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I am greatful my daughter kathleen cutshaw found all this info on our family.. It is so very interesting to see all of this. I love it..

    ReplyDelete