Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Scholarly Thoughts

I have to try and make this post a quick one, because I have to be up at 5:45 to get the day started and go to school for 8 hours. Monday I felt like I was hit by a tornado. I didn't know what happened to me. WHERE could the time have gone? I now know the importance of planning, crock pots, and great babysitters.

I have mixed feelings about school at the moment. Not that I'm ever going to quit until I have at least ONE college degree, it's just hard. It's supposed to be. College is not for wimps.

There are moments where I go from complete exhaustion and being overwhelmed to being inspired and wishing I could always have these opportunities to learn. It's almost a crime that college is so expensive and takes so much time...but that's learning. It will never take less time, no matter how little it costs. Technology can help there, but to truly be a scholar in something you'll have to spend the time learning it. Learning is changing (and has been since humans started walking). If you know how to use a computer, you potentially know a lot more than most folks did in the '70s. That's where the time can be changed. But true knowledge without instruments and technology will always require a lot of time invested.

I am very excited for the new challenges I have been given with school, but at the same time I just wish there was MORE time to do it in. There will be a slight difference in timing because I'm used to quarters and now I'm at a school with semesters, but that means I have less of an interval between those meeting times. I see many of my professors every other day-sometimes every day. There is no putting homework off for a day anymore. No more breaks between days of school.

Aidan seemed to have a great day with his friends while I was at school yesterday, and I know he had good bonding time with daddy today. For some reason, I am almost relieved to be able to get out and be a person all day long and not have to worry about feeding, changing, bathing, playing, etc. I do already miss the free time, though, but it makes the time I have even more special.

I have a lot more to share with you all, in my more traditional blogging taste (more "HEY you can use this info", not "HEY this is all about ME") but I'm not sure exactly when I'll get time to post it. As always, I have more going on than I have the time for.

In the mean time, here's a neat idea: Kindle on your PC. For free. I just downloaded it and I'm going to give it a spin. I considered buying myself an e-reader, but I don't think I can justify the cost right now (though I rarely spend much on FUN for myself) so I'm going to check this out for now, and maybe put one on my X-mas list. Maybe not. The library is always free. Plus, when do I have time to read??

No comments:

Post a Comment