Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Too Many Forks, Not Enough Fire

It's been one week...without Facebook.


I'm sort of working on my internet addiction. I wouldn't call it an addiction entirely, but I spend WAY too much time in front of the computer. Like now...

I deactivated my Facebook account in an attempt to help reduce the time I spend online. I miss it in some ways, but in others my life is brighter and happier without it.

I haven't spent as MUCH time on the computer, but I have somewhat replaced my Facebook time with craigslist time.


I also am still a "board fly" (there's no alcohol involved or that would read bar fly) on a forum I subscribe to.

If it weren't for school, I'd probably be willing to try to break free from the internet all together for a week trial. It's one of my 43 things. Well perhaps avoiding the computer all together is on my 43 things.

The thing is, I don't realize just how much time I spend here. I get stressed, behind, bogged down.

Being a full time mommy/student/girlfriend/homemaker all at once all the time is hard enough, but then when I spend most of my free time here on this computer...well nothing gets done entirely. Things get started and abandoned. Like this project (I will blog about later) that still isn't totally done...so much for it being a Mother's Day gift, perhaps it'll be accepted as a belated one.


I have piles of things waiting for me to finish/start them. My bookshelves overflow with cookbooks and activity books filled with post-it flags marking things I'm going to do "one day". Even more pressing are the library books. IF I get a chance to look through them, I end up copying the most intriguing pages and returning the books; leaving me with stacks of papers in the "one day" pile.
That blue thing is the above pictured mold, with a coat of paint. The yellow cup has squash seeds I meant to plant this month. That orange folder sticking out of the basket has cut outs of car ads to make a car book for Aidan while we travel (ok so I have a while to finish that still...). The Tylenol is recalled that I'm waiting for the refund on-holding on to it just in case I need those numbers again. Etc...the list goes on!!




Realizing this is what has helped me stop buying more books. I would love to,, especially when I find bargains, but I also try to think about everything I already have at home that I haven't gotten to yet. The same goes for "junk" because cleaning out the attic (and all of my stuff in general) is high on the list too.


On top of this I'm trying to exercise a little "self-care" every day or so which means I need to be MORE lenient in my schedule and make sure it get it in. It really, really makes a difference.

We're planning on going on a camping trip for a week in June as well, so I find myself thinking of this a lot too. I've made a good list of everything we need to bring, though I'm sure I'm still forgetting something. The list fills the first margin of the page and then some...and this doesn't include the FOOD we'll have to bring or exactly what "cooking gear" means.


So...I'm hoping to cut back on my computer time. Seriously. I have a lot to do before the end of this week, and while I'll be trying to take pictures and things, I think I'm going to try to stay off the computer unless totally necessary. There are a few necessary events coming up...like my paper and a recipe I plan in making (though realistically I could print it and might have to to avoid the temptation to go wandering on the internet) in which I will need to  use the computer...otherwise I think I'm going to really try to avoid this necessary evil.


My dear readers and Facebook friends, I will be back...very soon. BUT hopefully after I get a handle on my priorities and don't revert back to my old habits.

Time for some paper writing, or perhaps Calculus?

Let's take a closer look at that test, in case we needed another reminder that I need to DO my homework and study for once.
That's right. It's bad. It took me from a B to a C overall. Even with the curve, it still is in the 50% family. But I made the Dean's List last quarter!! So we'll see what I can do about this C...

No comments:

Post a Comment