Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Carne Asada

While I don't believe my Carne Asada is ever as good as the way my boyfriend's sister or aunt makes it...this turned out pretty good this time. Not your traditional American Easter dinner, it's actually totally Mexican as I'm just finding out...his family didn't even know about it until they saw it in America. In El Salvador they celebrate Easter by going to church and then the beach. Sounds good to me. Apparently bread is a traditional Easter meal, but he's a guy and was a kid when he last celebrated there so we can't rely on his limited memory of what was served...anyway...

I started with some sirloin tip eye steak cut very thin. We get ours from the local Mexican store. Every time I go in they give me a different cut of meat...sometimes it's flank or skirt steak, but any of these will work. I need to start talking with the Salvadoran ladies myself without the middle-man translator, because he seems to leave a lot of things out when it comes to cooking.

We need:
Your steak
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Worcestershire Sauce
Some beer (probably optional...)
A red onion

Edit: Some of those things he left out in translation:

Onion powder
Garlic powder
Tenderizer (we used Chef Merito brand...found for sure at the Mexican Store..maybe in the ethnic aisle but anything will probably work fine)
Beef Bullion powder
Adobo (we used Goya brand)

All of the above seasonings are added with the mayo and mustard to marinate. When I saw it made it really was a little of this a little of that ***taste*** a little more of this ***taste*** a little more of that...I have no idea exactly how much she put in it but I'll try to get exact measurements for you all.


I honestly hate reading recipes online or on blogs that don't have measurements, and I apologize for having done that to you, including now, but this isn't a measuring kind of recipe. I have never been told how much to put in by anyone, it's just eyeballing. Obviously it depends on how much meat you start with. In this example I used 4 lbs.

Mayo...
Mustard...
Worsht-Worchest-Worshtershire-Worcestershire Sauce...
Then I get to mixin...
You know you're cooking good food when your hands get dirty. There's something very gratifying about making food with your hands.

Oh and don't forget your beer...if you so choose, and I do suggest adding it!
I wasn't paying attention here and poured most of it in, when I really only needed like 1/4 Cup...enough to cover the meat, and mix it so it got to all of it...not a soak just a "rub". I had to pour off the rest.

Now for the red onion. I chopped mine up, just a bit of it, maybe a fourth. I mixed these pieces in with the meat.
This is where I covered it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Save the rest of your red onion!!! It's used to clean the grill, like so:
Bring out the meat, and start grillin'
It's good well done, or almost done. There will be burnt edges to get the center cooked through.
Yum! I made it with tortillas and rice, of course.
Here it is again...

2 comments:

  1. OMG>......... this is THE BEST! I'm going to try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this once, but forgot a couple of things. I'm trying it again today and will let you know how wonderful it is after we eat! :-)

    ReplyDelete