Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rice Krispie Treat Eggs

Somewhere in this great, big world-wide-web I found this idea.

I can't wait until Aidan's old enough to appreciate little things like this, but then again that would only mean he'd be closer to being too old to appreciate them, so I'm not going to wish the time away.

To give us all an idea of how much he's grown...here are his legs in his car seat: then and now.
6/15/2009
 3/27/2010

Anyway...
I made the Rice Krispies as usual, per the box instructions.

3tbs Butter/Margarine (I tried margarine again...I think it might work out for this recipe but I haven't tasted them yet...if not I'm swearing off margarine for good) Edit: I've tried them, and they taste fine! The box wasn't lying on this one...
1 Bag Marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows
6 Cups of Rice Krispies

I bought some clear-glittery Easter eggs to make egg-shaped treats. I decided the clear would look nice for leaving them inside or taking them out. I considered getting the jumbo eggs, too, but I'll save that for a year that there is more excitement for the holidays.

First, I used some vegetable shortening to grease the eggs, I wanted to have these ready for the krispies while they were hot.


Then I melted the butter margarine, and added the marshmallows. LOW heat! I've made burnt marshmallow-rice-krispie-treats before and they're NO good..let me tell you!

Slowly melting...it takes a while to do it right but it's worth it. 
 Next I added the first two cups of Rice Krispies.
After adding the rest in, gradually, it starts to get very tough and webby...it looks pretty cool!
I coated my hands with some shortening, too, to keep from turning into a marshmallow-swamp monster. It worked very well. I didn't take pictures of this part, due to the busy, messy hands, but I stuffed the krispies into both halves of the eggs and then squished them together until they snapped shut. This made for a tighter, smoother egg than if I were to guess and fill out the bottom in the open top part.

There's not much to clean up, which is always a plus!


I had some extra, since I didn't use many eggs. I planned on having a mixture of regular Rice Krispie Treats and egg treats for this batch.

And now presenting...the beautiful (and fun!) finished product...
I'm definitely becoming a firm believer in home-made treats and entertainment (especially for kids) instead of buying candy and all kinds of toys and games. Don't get me wrong, Aidan's got tons of toys already...but when you can have just as much (if not more) fun with more creative, personal stuff, why spend more money on the alternative?


I also wanted to share with you the GIANT marshmallows my dad found at the grocery store (Meijer for those of you reading who can go to one). Apparently they were in the imported foods section, that's Spanish on the package, too so I'm guessing they're from Mexico but I know way better than to assume that automatically..they could be from anywhere. The smaller marshmallow is a regular sized one, for scale.
I don't even think these pictures give a clear idea of how humongous these marshmallows are...it's pretty amazing. I can't wait to get these on a stick and roast them around the fire. 

I'm so ready for warmer weather, and it looks like I'll be getting it soon!

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea!~ Mariah loves RCtreats so we'll give it a shot. And the giant marshmallows....... like you, I can't wait to roast one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could even decorate them with icing or food coloring!! Like I said on FB, there's so much more you could do with these, but for our uses I wasn't going to overdo it.

    Glad you like the idea!

    ReplyDelete