Friday, June 3, 2011

Apple Kuchen

Kuchen is German for cake. To us English speakers, apparently, it is something more along the lines of coffee cake/sweet bread. Under the guidance of Nigella Lawson, I decided to give this one a go. This Apple Kuchen recipe is found in her book How To Be A Domestic Goddess.

My copy is starting to get a little bit of kitchen wear on it. I will always keep a "secret" recipe bookmarked, of the following:

Molten Chocolate Babycakes. If you want to see me make those, you'll have to come and visit. ;)

Now then, back to what we're here for, Apple Kuchen:

A list of the ingredients (for the cake itself, topping later):

2 1/4 - 3 Cups white bread flour
1/2 Tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 Package rapid-rise yeast (1 1/2 tsp) or equivalent fresh yeast
2 Large eggs
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 Cup milk, lukewarm
1/4 Cup unsalted butter, softened


First, mix the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.



 Some vintage effects on the sugar for you, you've probably seen sugar mixed with flour before...


Now the yeast. I used the package and measured from it, to be sure of my amount.


Now for some eggs.
Beat 'em up before...
...adding the milk.


Wonderful vanilla.

Then mix that up too...

Here's the thing...(how very Monk of me, it's my new catch phrase, for some unknown reason) I don't have a lemon zester. At least, not one that I know of. Maybe it's hiding somewhere, but for this recipe, I used this strange peeler/Julianne tool. Yes, I know that lemon isn't looking so hot. You take the lemons you're given.

Give it a go...

It sort of worked...

Love them Penzey's Spices.

After adding the lemon zest I tossed in the nutmeg.

I just think this is beautiful. I love seeing ingredients like this. Don't know why I do, but I hope you feel the same.



Whip it up. (Ok, mix, stir, not necessarily whip...)


Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, as Nigella instructs.


We're looking for a "medium-soft dough" with advise to add more flour as necessary.


Now we add the butter (don't forget!).


Then kneed. 10 Minutes by hand, 5 by machine, thereabouts.




You may remember a perfume campaign from a few years back that told viewers scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. Well, seeing these photos reminds me of the scent (not the same concept exactly, I know, but I'm getting there) and the scent is embedded in my brain. Delicious. A mixture of nutmeg, vanilla, and lemon, waiting to be consumed in cake form. It makes me want to go make some again...




Anyway, once you have something that is "smoother" and "springier" you will have to let it rise, until doubled. Either in a warm place for about 1- 1 1/4 hours or in a cool place overnight.


I chose the cool place overnight, and was a bit worried, it hadn't rose much, and it had a slight crustiness to the outside from the temperature. Don't worry, though, it all turned out ok.


Grease up a baking pan.

Press in the dough to the edges of the pan. Or at least try, and then let it rest for a few minutes, and give it another press.


Here we're supposed to let it rise again, about 15-20 minutes, so it's a good time to preheat the oven (400 degrees) and get the topping fixed up.

For the topping:

2 Granny Smith apples (or whatever you have on hand)
1 Large Egg
1 Tbs Cream
Grating Fresh Nutmeg
1 Tbs Demerara or Turbinado Sugar
1 Tbs Sugar
1/4 Tsp Allspice
2 Tbs Slivered Almonds


Two apples, peeled, cored, and chopped. I used one of those slicer/corer deals that slices the apples into 8 pieces and then diced them up from there. Quick. Easy. Lovely.

Next, the egg glaze.



One egg.


One tablespoon heavy cream. It looks...pretty gross so far, but we all know it will be delicious in the end.


Stir that up...


...


Now for a dash of nutmeg.


Brush that over the top of the dough.


Yum.


Top with the apples...


Now for some extra taste, sugar(s) and allspice. I didn't have the recommended Demerara or Turbinado sugar, so I substituted regular for that portion of the sugars.


Yummy. I rarely get to use allspice in my cooking (yet) but it smelled great here!!

Sprinkle over the top.



Almonds. You're supposed to use slivered almonds. I searched the cupbords and all I could find was whole. I resorted to chopping them as best I could, and wondered how they produce slivered almonds. I know machines are involved, but that seems very precise. Anyway....


Slivered almonds would likely be more attractive, but these tasted just fine. Send that to the oven (15 Minutes at the 400 degrees, then lower to 350 for another 15 minutes) and get started on the icing.


A simple confectioner's sugar icing, just add water.
For the icing:

1/2 Cup Confectioners' Sugar, sifted
1 Tbs Hot Water




Sifting may produce better results, but mine survived without it. This time.


Straight out of the oven:


And here, iced.


Yum. Writing/reading this has done its job. I want to go make some more. It's very good. Unique, I suppose, compared to typical American breakfast fare. It's more of a bread than a cake, but still has a sweetness to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment