Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

In preparation for an upcoming field trip in my Geology course, I've made some yummy cookies!

Unforunately for us, the yummy ones are the chocolate chip ones, not these particular oatmeal cookies tonight.

You see, I forgot my leavening agent. At least that's the best I can figure.

It happens to all of us sometimes.

More often here than it used to...I can't seem to get my head on straight when following a recipe anymore.

Anyway, a few months back I found this recipe, courtesy of Smitten Kitchen, and bookmarked it. I've just now gotten around to photographing (some of) the process.


Dry ingredients. Mix 'em up...

I used Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon. It has an intense scent to it. Delicious, more than just regular Cinnamon.
The following is why I decided not to double the recipe:

Butter. I doubled the chocolate chip recipe, which originally called for a stick of butter itself. I couldn't accept using 4 sticks of butter in one evening for cookies. (Now that I know I ended up with granola bars instead of cookies, I'm glad I didn't double!)

Then an egg. I'm skipping a few steps.

Mixin' mixin'.

Here's my little secret: extra sugar. I added about 1/6 of a cup of plain white sugar, always do and probably always will. It's a family tradition.

But the real stars of the show:
Another secret: I think oats are beautiful. Anyone else? They're gorgeous. I guess it's because of their life-giving abilities. Energy. Yum.
One-and-one-half cups.
Stir 'em in...but I only stirred a little bit here, saving energy for the raisins.


Aidan's favorite!

But, without baking soda, they're just chewy pancakes.

The last few times I've made these I've used self-rising flour and omitted the soda. They turned out beautifully. They also freeze well. According to SK the colder they are the thicker they are...haven't made them enough to test that yet though.


By the way, the intense photos, that's thanks to the Pioneer Woman's Photoshop Actions. I finally messed around with them enough to get things working. After learning a few useful Photoshop tricks myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment